Page 10 - CinemaRecord #11R.pdf
P. 10

decorative feature of the foyers and auditorium. "The decorative scheme Is a work of art. Ornamental mounting
             to the (ceiling) plaster sheets are gold on a biscuit colored background. Wall panels have received a home
             touch in that designs of wheat sheaves and baskets of fruit are beautifully harmonized. The windows at the top
             of the building (side walls) are of a bluish colour, relieved with orange curtains and pelmets. Opal coloured
             inverted globes In the ceiling give a soft brilliance of light".

             The original stage curtains were old gold and brown with a fleur de lis pattern and a brown and gold drop curtain
             was also used. A fire proof drop curtain was also installed. The theatre was equipped with emergency  power.

             The upstairs foyer  was furnished with several lounges and chairs upholstered In a brown moquette fabric with
             black stripes. Inverted opal lights hung from the ceiling and a standard lamp and flower pedestal stand added
             to the atmosphere. The front windows were furnished with old gold curtains. The stage area was very spacious
             fora provincial theatre at that time; it measured 57' wide, 31' deep and the fly tower was 57' tall. The stage floor
             has a slope of 15 degrees. The latest In stage equipment was also Installed. The bio box was equipped with two
            Simplex projectors as well as a slide projector. A large follow spotlight was installed for theatrical use.

             The Horsham Theatre was opened on Wednesday, 23 June, 1926 (5), by the Mayor, Cr. R.J. Wilmouth. The
             Company Secretary, J.E. Gooding, and  the theatre manager, Mr. Conabere, also took part in the ceremony.
             The Theatre Orchestra was under the direction of Mr. J.R. Baillie. It was originally licensed as a cinema only
             (pending the completion of stage works) seating 1094 (670 stalls seats. and 403 flip up and 21  loge seats in the
            balcony). The opening program Included the feature "A Son Of His Father". After the completion of works on the
             stage area the Company applied for a theatrical licence, on Sept. 25, 1926.

            Over the years the building and Its equipment have been improved. Talkies arrived In  September 1929. The
            Horsham Times reported (27/9/29) a dual sound system (sound on disc, and on film) was Installed. The article
            claimed that the Horsham installation was the second in country Victoria. Mr. G.H. Walters, an American expert,
            commissioned the R.C.A. equipment. The main feature was a premier of "Syncopation•, a jazz musical.

             With the sewerage of the town the installation of toilets in the theatre began from 1935. The loge seats were
            removed  from the front of the dress circle in 1937 when the floor stepping (in front of the cross aisle) was
             altered. The number of rows in this area were reduced from seven to six.(3)

            In February 1949 the theatre applied to the Health Department to extend the projection room, on the right hand
            side, to incorporate a new film winding room and entrance area. At this time a change of management is noted
             from  the correspondence to  the Health Department. The theatre was trading under the name of Wimmera
             Theatres Pty. Ltd~ which In turn was part of the Melbourne based chain of Victoria Theatres (Headquartered at
             the Village Theatre Toorak}. A Mr. Graham S. Slobom was the Managing Director.

            On September 30, 1955, the trade press (7) reported that the theatre had received a 30,000 pounds ($60,000)
            "face-lift" to tie In with Its first Cinemascope screening "There's No Business Like Show Business•. The theatre
            was now controlled by the Melbourne based Consolidated Theatres under the Chairmanship of Professor Sir
            Alexander Fitzgerald.

            In attempting to modernize the look of the theatre a variety of changes were made Including new red damask
            stage curtains, painting, reupholstering of furniture and the introduction of new pendent, shell wall bracket and
            oyster shaped light fittings in the auditorium. foyers and staircases. A new heating system was Installed utilizing
            the existing  roof tubes.  New Gaumont Kalee projectors were Installed In  May,  1955, In  readiness  for  the
            Clnemascope launch. The seating was reduced to 937 (Stalls 587, Lounge126 and Dress Circle 224).(3)

            Since the 1950 s the Horsham Theatre has changed lessors on several occasions and Is still operating today as
            the Centre Cinemas Triple.
                                                      (Next Issue: "The Theatres Of Horsham  Part 2" 1930- 1995)

            Acknowledgements: Mr. I. BaO!nger • President or lhe Horsham Historical Society Inc. for his invaluable research and assislaoce.
            Centre Cinemas: V.l Pascal and Robin CoUlns.     PhOtographs - Horsham Historical Soolety Inc.
            1. "A Story or Horsham" by Brian Brook and Alan Fln<:h - Publlshed by Wlmmera Mall Times Pty. Ltd. (of Horsham) In 1982.
            2. The Horsham Times  4 January, 1921            3. Public Records Oftic:e. Various Health Depar1mont CXlCTeSpondence.
            4. Unnamed newspaper cuttings dated 2.9/8/191 3 and 1818/1914, ooortesy of lhe Horsham Hlstorlcal Society.
            5. Horsham Theatre· Opening Night progrnmme.     6. The HO<Sham Times 25 June 1926
            7. The Film Weekly. 3 November 1955.             8. Horsl>am Times- 24 March, 1942.
            9. Mr. tan Ballinger- Horsham Historical Society Inc.   10. HO<Sham Times. 4 December. 1925
   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15