Page 9 - CinemaRecord #11R.pdf
P. 9


                                         'I         Ill  II

                                                     Centre Cinemas

             The main theatre is now called Cinema 1 and only the stalls area is used for film screenings whilst full seating
             facilities  are  used  for  live  performances.  The  projection  booth  in  this  cinema  is  equipped with  two  Italian
             Victoria X, Cinemeccanica projectors fitted with Xebex  Hi Beam 1V lamphouses fitted with Xenon lamps. An
             Eprad Starlet sound system is installed. The films are transported on locally made film towers.

             Cinema 2  is  equipped with a pair of 104 - X2 portable projectors, a Smart Model  11 B sound system. A film
             platter as well as a tower are located in this projection booth.

             Cinema 3 is equipped with a 104- X2 portable projector, a film tower and a Pioneer sound system. None of the
             cinemas are automated.

             The  Centre Cinemas current screening  policy  is  based  on  multi-film  and  multi-sessions over seven  days.
             Since the installation of the additional cinemas business has rapidly improved thereby consolidating the future
             of the theatre.

             The Twentieth Century Theatre

             Architect:   Harry A.  Birt                                       Opened: November 1937
             Builder:   Perc Dawe                                              Closed : 31st, December 1959
             Owner:     J. Downie

             In  March  1937 the  Health  Department  received  an  application  for approval  of the  new Twentieth  Century
             Theatre to be built on the western side of Firebrace St., near the corner of Baillie Street. A Mr. J. Downie of East
             Malvern was recorded as the applicant.  He was the owner of the Garden Open Air Theatre next door to the
             proposed theatre site. (1).

             This theatre was a large two level brick building of Art Deco styling. The gabled roof was supported by steel
             trusses. The front wall was cement rendered and features tall windows topped with panels of exposed bricks.
             Wrought iron grills were used to create decorative balconies at the first floor level. A stylized logo, a vertical
             neon and a clock were also featured at the frontage.

             The original building application stated the theatre seating capacity would be 782 (484 Stalls and 298 in the
             circle). The seating was reconfigured to give the theatre a capacity of up to 1 009 patrons ( 4 ). The building was
             entered through fours sets of centrally located doors. The downstairs foyer contained an island ticket box, a left
             hand side staircase to the upper foyer and ladies and gents toilets. Shops were located on each side of the
   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14