Page 8 - CinemaRecord Edition 3-2003 #41
P. 8

Geelong’s Ticket to


                 By Mike Trickett

             eelong in the mid-1930s was like
         Gso many other towns and cities in
          Australia, still recovering from The
          Great Depression.
            At that time Geelong was serviced
          by a number of cinemas, the Geelong
          Theatre (1913), the Plaza (formerly
          the Mechanics) (1932), The Regent
          (1922), The Palais (1926) - still
          screening silent films mainly as an
          adjunct to dances and the West Park
          (1915) a semi open air theatre located
          in the suburb of Geelong West.
            All of the above were built in the
          era of the silent film and were modified
          for sound (except the Palais) in the late
            In August 1937, an application was
          submitted to the Geelong City Council
          for approval to build a theatre and
          eleven shops on what was part of the
          former Market Square site. The
          theatre and one shop were to face the
          wide thoroughfare of Little Malop
          Street, with another on the cormer and
          the balance at the side of the building
          in the narrow McCann Street. The
          architect for the design was Charles N.
          Hollinshed, well-known theatrical
          architect who already had a number of
          prestige theatre buildings to his credit,
          including the Comedy Melbourne, the
          Regent Brisbane, plus other work in
          Australia and New Zealand.        Above: Entrance Doors; Stalls foyer & Dress-Circle Lounge in 1982. Photo: Lex De Vries

          8   2010 CINEMARECORD
   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13